Enhance Your Skills Through Training
Our journeyman enhancement classes are for Union carpenter and floor layer members only. Upgrade classes are held Tuesday and Thursday evenings for three weeks. Some classes require extra time commitment. Classes are scheduled based upon registrations.
Carpentry Skill Enhancement
- Basic Lock and Hardware - Prerequisite for graduation
- Basic Prints - Introductory course into print reading
- Basic Welding - Safety/set-up for cutting torch, stick machine, and flux core mig welder.
- Bridge Forming - Construction techniques for common bridge construction.
- Fall Protection - Recognize conditions that lead to falls. Understand methods of prevention.
- Floor & Wall Framing - Deck & wall framing, deck sheathing, framing doors and windows.
- Footings & Foundations - Concrete construction terminology. Safety and forming procedures.
- Level & Transit - Practical exercises including operation, function, and handling of transit levels.
- Roof Framing - Theory and calculations. Overhangs and cornice lines, jack and hip rafters.
- Stair Building - Rise and run, stringer layout, concrete steps. Code regulations discussed.
- Advanced Roof Framing - Review of common rafters. Uneven pitch roofs are introduced.
- Advanced Stair Building - Job built, freestanding circular and winding stairs.
- Column & Deck Framing - Building forms for elevated parking decks and high rise buildings.
- Total Station - Layout of building coordinates. Need Level and Transit experience.
Certifications & Qualifications
- Aerial lift operator qualification
- Best practices in health-care construction
- OSHA 30-hour outreach training
- Rigging and signaling certificate
- Scaffold erector qualification
- Lock and hardware certification
- Solid surface certification
- Welding certification
- MDOT certification
Note: Some classes may require pre-requisites
Call (248) 541-2740 to register for an upcoming class.