Find a Local

Find a local membership for MRCC with over 14,000 members across the state.

Use our local map

Update Your Info

Update your membership info including contact info and address.

Profile Update

  • admin
  • 26 June 2013

June 26, 2013

Press release: 14,000-Member MI Carpenters, Millwrights Union Endorses Schauer for Governor

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, June 26, 2013

14,000-Member MI Carpenters, Millwrights Union Endorses Schauer for Governor

DETROIT – The Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters and Millwrights is endorsing Mark Schauer for governor of Michigan in the 2014 general election. The MRCC represents 14,000 skilled, professional carpenters and millwrights throughout the state.

“I am extremely grateful for the support and endorsement of the carpenters and millwrights who are at the forefront of Michigan’s economy,” Schauer said. “These highly trained men and women work hard every day, making buildings and homes, roads and bridges, precision machinery and others better and safer than anyone else. Carpenters and millwrights take great pride in their training and their skills, and I’m proud to get their endorsement as someone they can trust to fight for Michigan workers and middle-class families.”

MRCC Executive Secretary-Treasurer Mike Jackson said: “Mark Schauer has shown time and time again that he is a champion for middle-class families, fighting to make sure ordinary men and women get decent wages, safe working conditions and a quality of life that helps them care for their families. Carpenters and millwrights are eager to stand behind a candidate who will stand up for ordinary Michiganders, not corporate CEOs and big banks on Wall Street, as Rick Snyder has repeatedly chosen to do. Michigan deserves a governor who will keep his word, not betray us, as Snyder has done.”

In its letter announcing its endorsement, the MRCC said: “Carpenters and millwrights care deeply about the future of our state and the hardworking families who call this our home. We care a great deal about policies that help working men and women get a fair shake in an economy that grows more unfair every day, with the wealthiest 1 percent earning more profits while the other 99 percent get left behind. We believe you will fight to restore fairness to our economy and make Michigan a place where anyone who works hard can live in dignity, get ahead and care for their families.”

In 2010, the MRCC endorsed Snyder after the then-candidate promised the union that he would not take up right-to-work laws. In 2012, as governor, Snyder rushed right-to-work proposals through the lame duck sessions and signed them into law without public hearings, input or testimony.